Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Does Patriotism still exist?

"...and I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free..."

Have you ever heard that song?  Have you ever sung it?  Furthermore, are you proud to be an American?  Do you know you're free?  

Do you love your country?  Are you devoted to it?  What happened to people who proudly stand up and say "I'm from the United States of America, the greatest country on Earth!"  I recently spent a year abroad, and until I was away from the United States for a while, I admit that I didn't really want too many people to know that I'm an American.  Why?  I don't really have an answer.  I guess it's because I hadn't really seen too much of my country that made me proud, that caused an uprising from within me that wanted to wear red, white, and blue everywhere I went.  But you know, there are a lot of things we have in America that don't exist elsewhere.  I know I criticize our government a lot.  And I know there are a lot of things that could use some improvement.  But I honestly think that if more people were proud of their country, they would do everything in their power to truly make it the "greatest country on Earth."  

Let's use an analogy.  Think of a small child, maybe six years old, who has just gone to the dentist and received a sticker for his good behavior.  He will wear that sticker with pride all day and make sure that everybody sees it!  He will proudly say, "I was a good boy at the dentist!"  And he will do everything within his power to preserve that sticker, to make sure it is still shiny and clean.  
You see, if you aren't proud of something, then you won't mind letting it go to waste.  Which is what seems to be happening to our country.  Our early principles, like "liberty and justice for all," have been forgotten, and personal agendas and financial gain have taken precedence.  Such a shame.  We mustn't allow money-hungry "politicians" decide what happens to our people; we should live up to our democratic ideals and let our voice be heard!  Being American isn't a bad thing; it is what you make it!  Let's make this country an amazing place again!